The Australian Home Entertainment Distributors Association (AHEDA) has a DVD accessibility framework document, affirming its commitment to making available access features such as captioning and audio description.
AHEDA will also respond on behalf of members to complain about accessibility of specific DVD titles where access features were available overseas and not in Australia.
Objectives of the Accessibility Framework for the Home Entertainment Film Industry
The objectives of this Framework are to:
- Promote the availability of access features for deaf and blind people and those with a vision or hearing impairment on titles released in Australia; and
- Promote the use of clear and consistent labelling of DVDs that provide access features.
- AHEDA members are not always able to include certain access features for a number of reasons including:
- The master is sourced from overseas without access features and cannot be changed for Australian distribution;
- English captioning or audio description is not available; or
- The additional files containing English captioning or audio description cannot fit onto a DVD due to memory restrictions inherent in this technology.
- However, AHEDA members are committed to increasing the amount of product available in Australia with access features and have already undertaken steps to educate, promote, accurately label and include features on Australian DVDs.
- In addition to promoting these principles within its membership AHEDA will also:
- Liaise with non-AHEDA members and DVD information providers on the importance of correct accessibility feature information availability; and
- Encourage non-AHEDA members to adopt similar principles in relation to accessibility.
You can read the full Framework on AHEDA’s website.
If you are unhappy with the accessibility levels on a DVD, and if the DVD is distributed by an AHEDA member, you can complain directly to AHEDA.
AHEDA members are:
- Disney Home Entertainment
- Anchor Bay Entertainment
- Paramount Home Entertainment
- Fremantle Media
- Roadshow Entertainment
- Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
- Time-Life Australia
- Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
- Universal Pictures Video
- Warner Home Video
If you need assistance identifying the distributor, please contact Media Access Australia on ph: 02 9212 6242 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top of page